Saturday 13 July 2013

Intern Diaries: Week 1

So I managed to land myself an internship (which are pretty damn hard to find up here in Manchester) with a small start up brand based in the city centre. I was really happy when I found out I'd got it, because I had no experience what so ever, and they always say the first internship is the hardest to get, probably for that reason. 

I'm only there for two weeks, but hopefully I can go back later on in the holidays for another two weeks (as I'm pretty sure my best friend and my boyfriend are on holiday at the same time which is going to be mega torture for me, I need to keep myself occupied). 

So here's what I did in the first week:

Day one: A nervous me walked in to the studio, but was pleasantly surprised to find that everyone there was very nice and friendly, and I wasn't given too big a task on my first day. Myself and the other interns (who had already been there for a a week or two before me) were given plain t-shirts to customise and let our creative juices flow. It was a nice relaxed first day.

Day two: We started off the day by sketching some designs for the new collection, and then we were sent out to snap some street style shots (wow, talk about alliteration!) which we were very unsuccessful with because it was really early and no one was about. :( I had to do little errands throughout the day like nipping to the bank, and putting stickers on a huge pile of lookbooks. Then I was given the task to create a print for the upcoming collection which I was really excited about, although the speed of the computer that I was working on made the experience rather frustrating, and the fact I was using macs which I've hardly used before. I was also sent to work in the shop they have in Affleck's for a couple of hours.

Day three: I spent the first half of the day working on the different social media websites the brand has which included making a Pinterest board, and a sort of 'steal her style' celebrity look sheet using pieces from the brand, which I then uploaded to their Facebook page. When I came back after my lunch break, a photo shoot for ASOS Marketplace was being organised which I helped with, then we all spent the rest of the day styling for the shoot which was so much fun!! I can't wait to actually attend the shoot and assist with everything! :D

Day four: Today was a very tiring day. I write this having just woken up from a nap. The morning was spent locating all the items that we needed for the shoot which was a huge task considering the amount of clothes that are crammed in to such a tiny office space. After this I was sent to work in the shop, where I spent my day on the laptop checking the social media sites, and I also got to create my 'pick of the week' from the items in store, as well as an outfit post on ASOS Fashion Finder and I also did some more designs for the upcoming collection. 

I think working for a small brand is really great because you get much more of a hands-on experience. I wasn't expecting to be given so much responsibility. I was half expecting to be stuck in a little corner with a list as long as my arm of mundane little tasks to do, but so far I feel like I've really contributed to the brand and learnt a lot. The hours are quite long, but I only work 4 days a week, and the experience is definitely worth it!

I hope you've enjoyed reading about the first week on my internship, and that this post wasn't too lengthy. I will have another post up by Monday talking about my experience on the photo shoot, and then another post up next Friday covering my second week as an intern! So please check back if you'd like to hear more!! :)

Please leave any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment